Sunday, March 24, 2013

MYST Post II: Monsieur Lazhar

Movies in My Spare Time II: Monsieur Lazhar



For this post I was originally going to write about The Omen, however after watching Monsieur Lazhar in French class this week I felt it was much more worthy of a blog post. After my first Formal Film Study I have realized that there are dozens of quality French films that I have yet to see.

Monsieur Lazhar is an emotional story of an Algerian man (Mohammed Fellag) who becomes a grade school teacher at in Quebec after his predecessor hangs herself in her classroom. Directed by Philippe Falardeau and based on a one-man play written by Evelyne de la Cheneliere, Mr. Lazhar brings to light a variety of emotional struggles and questions about recovering from loss and communicating with children. One child in particular Alice, who is played by the canadian actress Sophie Nelisse is scheduled to star in the much anticipated film adaptation of Marcus Zusak's The Book Thief. Nelisse gives a powerful performance that won her the Canadian Genie Award for best supporting actress in 2011.

Trailer:



The cinematography, accompanying sound work and superb acting make this a piece that left me in a pensive state during the last five minutes of French class. Example: the opening scene, during which a timid student, Simon, discovers the corpse of Martine Lachance hanging in a classroom as he is retrieving les berlingots (milk cartons) for lunch. As Simon walks down the hall the camera follows him without a tripod, shaking slightly as the suspense builds. Meanwhile it is snowing outside and the light that fills the hallway is flat and depressing. We are suddenly alerted by Simon's discovery with the clash of the milk cartons hitting the floor. All of the elements of production, cinematography, sound, lighting, and mise en scene contribute to an experience that is as if we ourselves are a young child discovering the suspended body of our teacher.

These ambiguities and nuances of such a story are justly presented with careful attention to mood, lighting, and camerawork. For this reason I give Monsieur Lazhar 8.5/10



2 comments:

  1. I watched half of Amelie when it was on TV the other day and I wish I'd had the chance to finish it. After watching all of Monsieur Lazhar in French class, I agree with you that French films are really really cool. They are cool. I especially liked the experience of a "French" ending of a film. It is very different than the endings of American films, and I like the open-endedness of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, exactly. I agree with Devon. I wish this class had the opportunity to touch more on films of other countries and certain countries' signature filmmakers and styles. French films are cool. French films can be cynical. They are more comfortable being art (ambiguous, complex, moody, etc.) than American films.

    Good post, Mark. Keep watching these French films, as long as they're grabbing your attention. You and Devon should try to convince your French teacher to show more French films!

    ReplyDelete