Tuesday, April 16, 2013

MYSTQ2: The Shining

The Shining:




For this MYST post I chose to watch and review Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. I am studying Kubrick's films for my formal film study, as The Shining is different than many of his other films I decided to examine it in my spare time.

Based on Stephen King's 1960 novel, The Shining is a chilling tale of isolation, cabin fever, and psychosis. "The unhurried pace, extended dialogue scenes and those sudden, sinister inter-titles ("One Month Later", "4pm") contribute to the insidious unease." -Guardian Film.

Kubrick is innovative in both dialogue and cinematography. Take for example the tricycle sequence. In this scene, the camera follows Danny as he explores the Overlook Hotel. The series of settings are accompanied by the eerie sound of plastic wheels as roll over hardwood and carpet sequentially. Kubrick creates an atmosphere more horrific than that of The Ring, or modern horror films without the use of jump horror that is seen far too often.

Tricycle Scene:

Overall, I have to say that I was thoroughly spooked by Jack Nicholson's performance in The Shining. Nicholson does a superb job of portraying the progression of insanity of his character. Images of  "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." lingered in my mind hours after the final scenes. For superb dialogue, acting, and cinematography I give Stanley Kubrick's The Shining 9/10.

1 comment:

  1. Good job, Mark. Yeah, The Shining is a creepy film. It's very well-done though, as you point out. I just wish you spoke a little more about some of the things Kubrick does to make this a successful film.

    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete